Propose a teaching strategy for a subject you teach or will teach or for one which you support with design/development, considering your experience of Fult peer observation, ideas introduced in this course and in the Fult program in general.
A subject I will teach: Software Engineering
I propose a digital learning approach. This is one that makes effective use of technology to facilitate learning (Fult program, 2017). The image above found on google images indicates it offers effective pedagogy, due to creativity, collaboration,feedback and reflection(Googleimages, 2017).
Use of Technology in the curriculum.
1. My students will each use a laptop.
2. I will project my laptop at times upfront on screen to demonstrate how to for example write code.
3. Videos will be shown in class.
4. Assignments will be submitted online each week.
5. The tutor will be available online to chat to students on Skype or via email.
6. Lessons will be recorded and uploaded online onto a Web portal for students to access
7. Quizzes, code examples, practical activities will be given (from peer observation, Fult program, 2017).
8. Tutor will ask questions to all students to get them to participate and opinions invited.
9. Whiteboard will be used for students to solve problems and tutor will also write on the whiteboard.
10. Creative Projects and assignments. Giving students the choice of the traditional or creative assignment.
11.)encourage ideas from students to be put forward in group tutorials/discussions outside of class.
Feedback and reflection:
10. Lots of feedback will be given on assignments and I will be supportive in my comments.
11. One to ones with students would be necessary to check on their progress.
My Fult peer observation exercise:
From the Fult peer exercise I learnt how to give proper and positive feedback due to how a student would experience receiving certain feedback. I also learnt that I would not have been able to answer the exercise’s questions if I had not done some deep learning myself, in order to get positive feedback. Learning and teaching is a two-way process.
Relating back to Fult program 2017 in activity (1a) on deep learning:
By looking back at the deep learning exercise and seeing how it fits in with my digital learning strategy, I can see some connections between them. For example , technology helps with active learning, which was a requirement for deep learning. It also helps to connect students to the real world and can be used to provided feedback through.
Some other things I would be aware of with my approach when it comes to deep learning:
1.) Setting clear goals from start and explain standards for example plagiarism.
2.) I would show my passion of the subject through my energy.
3.) I would be aware of all students, their needs, diversity, build their confidence etc.
4.) I would teach using a mixture of lectures and tutorial type classes to encourage active learning.
The following readings further explain how digital learning achieves deep learning.
Ellis, Heidi.(2008).software engineering: effective teaching and learning approaches and practices.[online]IGI global.Available at: http://www.igi-global.com/book/software-engineering-effective-teaching-learning/927%5BAccessed 28/03/2017].
Vander Ark, T.(2012)How digital learning contributes to deeper learning-educause.UK:Getting smart, 28. Available at:net.educause. edu>library>pdf[Accessed 27/03/2017].
Vander Ark, Tom.(2015). The shift to digital learning: 10 benefits.[online]getting smart.Available at: http://www.gettingsmart.com/2015/11/the-shift-to-digital-learning-10-benefits/%5BAccessed 28/03/2017].
March, Tom.(2012). 13 reasons why digital learning is better.[online]lighting the way for next era education.Available at:http://tommarch.com/2012/01/digital-learning/%5BAccessed 28/03/2017].
MsConneally.(2013).Ms Conneally’s.digital learning: advantages and disadvantages. [blog]EDRE5j blog.Available at:https://5j2014msconneally.wordpress.com/2013/11/21/digital-learning-advantages-and-disadvantages/%5BAccessed 28/03/2017][Accessed 28/03/2017].